Every day, we care more about eating healthy food. And this also extends to our furry friends. But can a dog have honey?
The Best Answer To "Can A Dog Have Honey?"
Your dog can not only eat honey, but it can be beneficial for him.
But in small portions! Honey contains natural sugars that could affect your dog's weight and lead to cavities.
However, it also includes vitamins and minerals necessary for balanced nutrition.
So can a dog have honey? Yes, as long as it is moderate and sporadic consumption.
Did you know that at Give a Sh!t we donate 10% of our profits to the Soi Dog Foundation? Your purchase saves the lives of puppies that live on the street.
Can All Dogs Eat Honey?
Raw honey can cause botulism, especially in puppies and dogs with compromised immune systems (this also applies to humans). Better opt for pasteurized honey!
Dogs suffering from diabetes can be harmed by consuming honey. Ask the vet if your pup can eat honey and in what quantities.
On the other hand, you should not include honey treats in your dog's diet if he is overweight or obese. Honey is high in sugars that could worsen his condition by adding extra calories.
5 Top Benefits Of Feeding Honey To Your Dog
Eating small portions of honey could:
- Help your dog outcome seasonal allergies, such as pollen allergy.
- Relieve discomfort caused by Kennel Cough in dogs.
- Soothe the gastrointestinal tract of dogs suffering from diarrhea or constipation.
- Kill bacteria that can cause stomach ulcers.
- Boost energy.
Note: Scientific research is not 100% conclusive. Check with your trusted vet about it.
Can I Use Honey To Relieve Canine Skin Problems?
Yes. In fact, honey is also used to relieve skin problems in humans.
It is possible to use honey for:
- Soothe eczema.
- Relieve insect bites.
- Help heal burns and wounds in general.
Of course, take note that any burns or wounds should be seen by the vet first.
The veterinarian will decide the best treatment for your dog and whether it is beneficial to incorporate honey as an adjuvant treatment.
_________________________for more dog owners’ tips_________________________
How Can I Give Honey To My Dog?
First of all, you should consider the health condition of your dog. If the vet agrees for him to eat honey, pay attention to his weight. It is not the same portion for a Chihuahua as it is for a Great Dane.
Once you know what the allowed dose is (and how often), do not give the honey directly with a spoon.
You can include it in some homemade treats or use it to sweeten his birthday cake. Here we present two options to give honey to your dog.
1. Apple and Honey Dog Treat
To prepare these homemade treats with honey for your dog you will need:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 apple
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2/3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F.
- Chop the apple into small pieces.
- Put all ingredients in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to combine them.
- Roll out the dough.
- Cut the cookies.
- Prepare an oven tray with baking paper.
- Place the cookies on the tray and bake for about 15 minutes or until they are golden, but a little soft.
2. Strawberry And Honey Dog Cake
To prepare this small birthday cake for dogs with honey you will need:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Prepare a 4-inch round cake pan with baking paper and non-stick spray.
- Combine the flour with the baking soda and the baking powder.
- Cut the strawberries and take 3/4 cup. Use the mixer to achieve a strawberry purée.
- In another bowl, mix the peanut butter, the oil, the egg, the strawberry purée, and the honey.
- Slowly, add the dry ingredient mixture. Stir well until integrated.
- Put the mixture on the cake pan and cook for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool before decorating.
- Use a mixer to beat the whipping cream to a smooth consistency.
- Cover the cake with the frosting and decorate with the 1/4 cup of strawberries that you had reserved.
As you have seen, your dog can have honey. However, it is good to consult your veterinarian about it.