How To Make Your Own Sustainable And Healthy Food For Dogs
Updated on December 19, 2022
When shopping, do you pay attention to the food you buy? Do you find yourself looking at labels and choosing organic products over others? So why don't you do the same with your dog's food? Read on and discover how to make sustainable and healthy food for dogs at home.
The reality is that we are becoming more and more aware of the importance of our diet not only to look good but, and more importantly, to be healthy. It is no longer worth "eat anything". We want and demand quality.
We look for healthier options, without preservatives. Not only that, but we prioritize local and seasonal products, and we are concerned about the amount of plastic with which the food is packaged (we still cannot understand why lettuce needs a plastic bag around it, do you?).
When it comes to buying your dog's food, it would also be interesting that you carry out an investigation to choose the healthiest for him.
4 Healthy Food For Dogs To Make At Home
As you know, each dog has its own nutritional needs depending on its breed, caloric expenditure, and its age.
_________________________Are you still using plastic bags to pick up your dog's poop? These take around 50 years to degrade._________________________
Generally speaking, dogs need:
- High-quality protein, which can be found in meat, eggs, or fish.
- Fat, present for example in oil.
- Essential fatty acids
- Vitamins and minerals, present in vegetables.
Before starting to prepare healthy food for dogs at home, talk with your trusted vet.
1. Salmon With Vegetables 🐟 🥕 🥦 🥔
The best thing about this recipe is that you can prepare it for yourself and your dog.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 salmon portions SKIN ON (1 oz per 10 pounds of dog more or less)
- 1 squash
- 1 head of broccoli (with stem)
- 3 potatoes
- 2 carrots
- Peel the carrots and cut them together with the squash into small pieces. If you don't like broccoli stems, separate the flowers for yourself and give the stems to your dog. If you are like us, and you eat everything, separate a part for yourself and another for your furry friend.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into small pieces.
- Place the vegetables in a baking dish and cook until tender.
- Cook the salmon in the pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. First, cook on the skin side and then turns around. When turning the salmon, remove the skin and reserve it.
- Cut the salmon and mix it with the vegetables.
Note: with the reserved skin from the previous recipe, you can prepare some delicious treats for your dog.
You may be interested in: Best Dog Food: Guide To Pick The Healthiest Dog Food
2. Salmon's Skin Treat 🐟
With the reserved salmon's skin, prepare this dog's treat!
Just cover the salmon skin with coconut oil and preheat the oven to 350º F.
While the oven heats up, roll up the salmon skin and place it in a baking dish.
Cook it for 20 minutes.
Let it cool down, and you will have a tasty and crunchy treat for your dog.
3. Beef With Rice And Veggies 🥩 🍚 🥕
You won't be able to resist this healthy food for dogs, and you will want to try this recipe today.
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 15-ounce can of kidney beans
- 1/2 cup peas
- Stir in ground beef, brown rice, kidney beans, butternut squash, carrots, peas and 4 cups water into a slow cooker.
- Cook everything for about 3 hours on high heat, stirring if necessary.
- Let cool completely and let your dog taste this delicacy.
4. Homemade Dry Food 🐶
Making food that is dry and easy to store is much easier than you might think, although it does take time and patience.
- 6 cups of oat
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of powdered milk
- 1/3 cup baking oil
- 2 mixing bowls
- 2 and 1/2 cups of milk (can be replaced by water)
- Veggies (or fruits)
- Meat (if you want)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Remember to place a cookie sheet to prevent the food from sticking to the dish.
- While the oven is heating up, mix the oat with the powdered milk.
- In another bowl, add the eggs together with the baking oil and milk.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients in this bowl and mix well.
- Add the ingredients you have chosen: veggies, fruits, meat ... About six cups of these ingredients will be perfect. Of course, vegetables, and meat must be previously cooked and in very small pieces or puréed. Consult with your vet about the best nutritional mix for your dog.
- Once the mixture is integrated as a dough, stretch it over the oven dish and cook it for 45 minutes, or until it looks tan.
- Remove from the oven, let cool and cut into small pieces.
The Importance Of Sustainable Dog Food
Choosing sustainable dog food is a real challenge because there are not many companies that respond to that market need (at least today).
However, we are confident that little by little, more companies will begin to worry about the quality of the ingredients in dog food and the impact that its preparation has on the environment.
Taking into account that some scientific studies have compared the environmental impact of having a dog with that of having a large SUV, companies must take action on the matter. And so are you. How? By choosing eco-friendly products, like compostable dog poop bags or bamboo collars, and also paying attention to the ingredients in dog food.
Did you know that the production of "cheap meat" for use in pet food releases up to 64 million tons of carbon dioxide a year? Therefore, by switching your dog to homemade eco-food or an eco-friendly dog food brand, you are betting on a more sustainable world.
Did you know that at Give a Sh!t we donate 10% of our profits to the Soi Dog Foundation? Your purchase saves the lives of puppies that live on the street.
How To Know If The Dog Food I Buy Is Sustainable
1. What Does The Label Say?
First, you need to look at the label and see if the dog food has been legally and sustainably produced; that is, if the ingredients have been sourced responsibly.
Moreover, read all the ingredients and try to pick brands that buy the ingredients from organic farms and that prepare low to middle-meat diets.
2. Is The Company An Organic Farm?
Those foods that come from certified organic farms will not contain growth hormones or any other chemicals. Therefore, it is the best way to take care of your pet and, at the same time, protect the planet. You will be opting for producers who avoid the use of pesticides that ultimately pollute waterways.
3. Is It Certified?
Another piece of advice that we can give you is to purchase food that is organic, and even better: USDA-certified organic pet food.
Of course, you can buy the ingredients and prepare your own sustainable dog food at home.
Did you see? It is possible to prepare sustainable dog food at home! A delicacy that you can share with your furry friend.
What Healthy Foods Can I Feed My Dog?
Dogs need a healthy, balanced diet to stay healthy and happy. Common healthy foods for dogs include lean proteins like chicken, fish, and eggs; complex carbohydrates such as whole grains like brown rice or oats; non-starchy vegetables such as broccoli and carrots; healthy fats found in olive oil or coconut oil; and fruits like apples or bananas. It's also important to make sure the food is free of artificial additives, preservatives, and fillers.
How Do I Make My Own Sustainable Pet Food?
Making your own healthy pet food is relatively easy! Start with some basic ingredients – quality meat, healthy carbs and fresh vegetables and fruits, plus healthy fats like olive oil or coconut oil. Then cook the food in a slow cooker or on stove top over low heat. Once cooked, add supplements to provide your pet with essential vitamins and minerals. Finally, divide the finished product into individual meal-sized servings and store them in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to five days or freeze for up to three months.
What Should I Avoid When Making My Own Healthy Pet Food?
You should avoid processed foods like hot dogs, luncheon meats, canned fish or tuna in oil, as these can contain high levels of sodium, saturated fat and other artificial additives that are not healthy for pets. Additionally, you should also avoid certain vegetables, such as onions and garlic, as these can be toxic to dogs. Moreover, you should avoid giving your pet table food like chocolate, grapes or raisins, as these are toxic for pets.
Is It Safe To Make My Own Healthy Foods For Dogs?
Yes! Making your own healthy pet food is perfectly safe if you follow the proper guidelines regarding nutrition and storage. Research recipes that meet your pet's needs and always consult with a veterinarian before making any drastic changes to their diet. Additionally, make sure to store homemade meals safely in the refrigerator or freezer to prevent bacterial growth.
What Benefits Can I Expect From Feeding My Dog Healthy Homemade Meals
Homemade healthy meals can provide a variety of benefits for your furry friend, including increased energy and healthy weight gain. Additionally, homemade pet food can be customized to meet your pet's specific dietary needs, such as allergies or medical conditions. Finally, you'll save money in the long run by making your own healthy pet food!
TAKE A LOOK AT OUR EARTH-FRIENDLY PET PRODUCTS COLLECTION!
We are happy to help. Unfortunately, many dogs eat their poop. Try cooking for her and ask your trusted vet. He can give her a supplement or recommend another food brand. We hope your greyhound stops eating poop soon!
I found the information given very helpful and it confirms many of my own thoughts regarding my dog’s unsavory habit of eating her poop. My dog is a retired greyhound and has other issues apart from eating what I believe she shouldn’t (sadly she does not agree with me) We will battle on I am going to begin with a vitamin and mineral supplement and see how we go. I am also going to try cooking some of your meals. Great Site. Very helpful.
Leave a comment