Today, we are increasingly aware of our impact on the planet. We care about our carbon footprint because of our furry friend's carbon paw print. For this reason, we have proposed to present you with some ideas to prepare an eco-friendly dog's bath time.
How to prepare an eco-friendly dog's bath time
First of all, the most important thing is that you pay attention to the objects that you will use. Your four-legged friend needs, just like you, many cosmetic products and accessories to clean himself.
Now, did you know that most of the products we use daily contain microplastics? Yes, as you read, that shampoo that you like so much and that smells so good can contain microplastics.
An investigation from 2016 pointed out that cosmetic products are one of the primary sources of microplastic. Without a doubt, a small change in our consumption habits can contribute to maintaining a cleaner world with less plastic.
To decrease your dog's carbon paw print, you can do several things, like, for example, you can create your dog shampoo. This may sound difficult, but it's not as complex you may think. Create your shampoo, and therefore take care of your pet, the environment, and your pocket. What more could you want?
Eco-friendly dog's bath time: homemade shampoo recipes
On the internet, you will find hundreds of different recipes to prepare shampoo for dogs at home. In particular, we present options that include essential oils and natural ingredients or, failing that, organic and eco-friendly industrial ingredients.
IMPORTANT: Before preparing and using these shampoos with your dog, consult your trusted vet.
Shampoo for all fur
This shampoo is perfect for all breeds, regardless of whether your dog has long or short, straight or curly hair. Either way, it'll suit him greatly.
To prepare this shampoo, you will need liquid and natural dish soap.
Note: Please, read the label to be sure that you are not choosing a non-eco-friendly product.
- 1 cup of natural liquid dish-washing soap
- 1 cup of organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup of warm water
- 2 ounces of glycerine
- Mix the vinegar with the organic soap
- Add the warm water and mix again.
- Include the glycerin.
- Mix well and store.
- You must always mix the shampoo before using it.
Shampoo for dry skin
Does your dog have dry skin? So, nothing better than making a nourishing and moisturizing shampoo based on oatmeal.
- 1 cup of uncooked oatmeal (not instant oats)
- 1/2 cup of baking soda
- 1 quart of warm water
- Optional: a few drops of Lavender oil.
- Process the oatmeal until it looks like flour.
- Place it in a bowl and mix it with the baking soda.
- Add the warm water and mix again until everything is incorporated.
Shampoo to prevent fleas
Do you want to prevent fleas without using polluting products? It is not impossible, we assure you.
- 10 ounces of warm water
- 2 ounces of aloe vera gel
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- Put all the ingredients in a spray bottle.
- Mix well until combined.
- When bathing your dog, remember to wet his coat before applying this shampoo.
If your dog has long hair, a good eco-friendly conditioner to prevent knots is what you need.
- 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
- 1 pint of boiling water
- Heat the water until it boils.
- Add the rosemary.
- Let it infuse for 15 minutes. Don't forget to cover the pot to prevent evaporation.
- Strain and cool to body temperature.
- After bathing your four-legged friend with organic shampoo, rinse his skin with this mixture.
- Rub his fur a bit, and voilà. No need to rinse.
What do you think of these recipes to create a good shampoo for your puppy's skin and also for the environment? As you can see, it is possible to have an eco-friendly dog's bath time!